2016

2015

2014

Cathedral Prep Water Polo 2015 Season Outlook

waterpoloThe 2014 Cathedral Prep water polo season ended with Prep taking 4th place in the Pennsylvania State Tournament.  Last year’s senior class contributed quite well to the water polo team with the shooting abilities of Daniel Bauman, the trusted defensive talent of Davis Nies, the natural good looks of utility player Eli Chase, and the wisdom and knowledge brought to the game by David Kuhar. Despite these great losses to the team this past year, this year’s large senior class has much to contribute to the team.
This year’s starters include the highly skilled driver, David Rahner (Sr); aggressive shooter, Thomas Squeglia (Sr); powerhouse player, Anthony Squeglia (Jr); Pat Steele (Sr),a second year, yet quick-to-adapt recruit from the CP Basketball Team; and well experienced goalie, Daniel Anthony (Sr). The 2014 Pennsylvania Rookie of the Year, Calvin Behm (So), will also be returning to the team for his second year as Prep’s starting whole set following his return from training in the water polo mecca of Hungary this past summer.  
Whole defender Rex Riley (Sr) has been forced to take leave from several of the team’s tournaments this season due to his busy swimming schedule and his commitment to swim in college.  In Rex’s absence Jake Schmidt (Jr), the lightweight, but quick and effective driver, has been called up as the team’s “8th” starter.  Other notable contributors to the team include utility players Joshua Kurczewski (Sr); Thomas Uht (So); and Austin Hancock (Sr), who made a return to the team after a year of absence from the sport.  Sophomores Dominic Montefiori, Mitchell Cizmek, Andrew Burns, and freshmen Robert Maholic and Fats Causgrove are still learning the sport, and make up the remainder of the team.

This year, former part-time Cathedral Prep water polo and swimming coach Mike Doyle has been appointed full time to work for Prep as the school’s Aquatics Director and overseer of the new PVEC pool. Assistant Coach Colleen Sheldon has also made a return to the team’s coaching staff for her second year.

The team’s prospects for this year’s Pennsylvania State Tournament have never looked brighter for the Ramblers as chief rivals such as North Penn HS of Lansdale, Pa., and defending state champion, Wilson HS of Reading, Pa., graduated many contributing seniors in the class of 2015.  However, Cumberland Valley HS of Mechanicsburg, PA appears to be as big of a threat as always to the team’s quest for the PA State Title, having defeated Prep in the 3rd place game at the State Tournament last year with a score of 14-9.

The Cathedral Prep Water Polo Team has started off the year with a 15-8 victory over PA Western Conference rival North Allegheny HS of Wexford, Pa., on Saturday September 5th at North Allegheny Senior HS, and a first place finish in the 16-team Ohio Cup Tournament on September 12-13.