2016

2015

2014

Paris attacks leave the world in shock

Paris attacks leave the world in shock

For the most United States citizens it is easy to remember the most seemingly vulnerable day in history as Sept. 11, 2001, when the Twin Towers in New York City were destroyed at the hands of Al Qaeda terrorists. Now, it seems like France will have a similar weight to bear with the date Nov. 13, 2015. On this date, several locations in Paris, France, were attacked by the terrorist group ISIS, spreading fear into the hearts of many citizens. The city for a night felt defenseless, as if all hope had been lost. People swarmed the streets with support of their homeland and other countries began showing their support, for what would become in France as a day that will live in infamy.
Seven attacks were carried out on that day, in a number of different locations. The first attacks were carried out near Stade De France, during an international friendly soccer match between France and Germany. The next attacks were at the Right Bank area of the city, where they opened fire at a Cambodian restaurant and a bar on the other side of the road. Next, the same group went down the street and attacked a pizzeria. They kept moving and shot up another bar down the road, before finally arriving at the Bataclan concert venue, where 89 people were killed. The attacks in total killed 129 people and injured 100 more. Seven terrorists were later confirmed dead from the attacks, either by suicide bombing or police gunfire.
After the fact, citizens joined together in the streets to mourn the lives of those lost. The nation was in utter shock at the events that unfolded, with a variety of mixed emotion from sadness to anger. The French president François Hollande launched 20 air strikes on the Syrian town of Raqqa with the help of the U.S. on Sunday. The targets were a command post, recruitment center, and training camp. On Monday another attack was carried out, destroying a recruiting center and a training center.
It’s time the world recognizes the true danger that ISIS presents. Threats from Isis cannot go by lightly, and government should take certain precautionary measures. The attacks showed the world we need to come together to eliminate these terrorist groups for good to save innocent lives.