2016

2015

2014

Prep Finance Club’s annual stock competition underway

Photo credit: Andreas Poike

simvestThe Cathedral Prep Finance Club is continuing its popular stock market competition for the second year in a row. The competition is operated online through virtual trading simulation simvest.com, which allows students to practice their stock market skills with the chance to win (or lose) thousands of dollars without any risk imposed on the students.
The online trading platform allows students to buy, sell, and short thousands of virtual corporate stocks and mutual funds, operating on the New York, Toronto, NASDAQ, and AMEX stock exchanges. Players have $100,000 in virtual starting cash and have until the end of the contest to gain the highest percent of return on investment as possible.
Finance Club Co-Adviser Mr. Will Pituch expressed his excitement regarding the competition. “It is a good opportunity for students to participate and understand how national and global financial systems operate,” he explained. “Students always love competition and this contest is a great way for students to learn how the financial markets work in a fun and competitive manner.”
Many students expressed similar positive remarks. Despite being ranked last out of the 55 current contestants at this time, senior Carter Cross believes that it is far too early in the game to rule anyone out. “This contest is all about taking risks,” Cross stated. “Big risk, big reward: that’s my motto.”
Though the contest officially started on Friday, Jan. 29, the deadline to enter is Friday, Feb. 5, and the contest ends Wednesday, May 18. You do not need to be a member of Finance Club to participate in the stock competition. Those interested in joining should contact either Mr. Pituch or Daniel Anthony by Friday’s entry deadline.
The Cathedral Prep Finance Club is headed by President Jeremy Hill and Vice President Daniel Anthony. The club is co-advised by Mr. Will Pituch and Mr. Paul Baltzer.