2016

2015

2014

2013 World Series Preview

It’s finally come, the moment baseball fans have been waiting for since the first pitch of the season on Sunday, March 31, 2013. Probably one of the most unpredictable World Series yet will begin tonight between the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Both of these teams have had amazing seasons and have played great baseball since March. Although neither of these teams were pre-season picks to make it to the show, they are here and ready to make history.
Let’s start by recapping the ALCS between the Detroit Tigers and Boston Red Sox. Despite Detroit’s impeccable pitching by it’s starting rotation, they came up short as the pitching staff was given no run support. The Tigers led almost every batting category with the exception of a few, including the two most crucial, runs batted in and home runs. But Boston had four home runs in the series, including two grand slams delivered by David Ortiz in Game 2 and Shane Victorino in Game 6.
Boston didn’t have the best team batting average, but they delivered runs when they needed them. They took full advantage of Detroit’s weak bullpen and made veteran pitchers look like rookies. They also shut down Detroit’s offense with runners in scoring position and had Tigers fans turning off their televisions in the 8th inning.
The NLCS was contested between the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis started off the series by winning the first two games and had the Dodgers on their heels the entire time. The Cardinals starting pitchers carried them through the regular season and are a big part of the reason as to why they are going to the World Series for the fourth time in ten years.
The Cardinals dominated the series in almost every aspect of the game. Despite late efforts by the Dodgers in Game 5, trying to win some momentum and take back the series the Cardinals did not let up. In Game 6 St. Louis made a statement by scoring 9 runs, sending the Dodgers back to L.A. with their heads down.
The Cardinals enter this World Series with a chip on their shoulder hoping to avenge their loss to the Red Sox in 2004. However, the way both of these teams are playing it can go either way. They are quite evenly matched on paper, having similar statistics in almost every category. They both beat two heavy World Series favorites to make it here and tied for the best record in baseball during the regular season.
A World Series has not been this evenly matched in a long time. Both of these teams have played incredible baseball all season and are red hot entering the game tonight. Each team has their own arsenal of big name stars as well as secret weapons, giving neither team a decisive edge entering this series. Right now it is anyone’s series to take and should make for one of the best of all time.
Prediction: Boston will take the series in six games.Their ability to score in key situations will give them the runs they need to win games. Their bullpen will not let up, and their closer, Koji Uehara, won’t give up any runs late in the game. Not to mention the luck they receive from their playoff beards.