2016

2015

2014

Preview: CYO All-Stars vs. Prep basketball team

The Erie CYO league is said to be one of the most competitive leagues in the whole state. The Prep basketball team is looking to put that theory to the test on April 25th after school when they will take on a select group of CYO all-stars. All of these all-stars are seniors and obviously showed some heart and skill on the court, as they were picked to be on the all-star team. Also, the Prep basketball team came off a great season led by senior Jaryn Simpson. Some of the players on the CYO all-star team include Colin Williams, Nick Hess, Trey Deitrick, Nick Frisina, David Nies, and many more. Meanwhile the Prep basketball team has Jaryn Simpson, Bruce Fagan, Mark Majewski, and many more at their disposal.
The league champions of this year’s CYO league were the St. Jude (OLC) Raiders. This team was led by all-stars Colin Williams and Brian Stark. Colin Williams did a great job leading his team to victory throughout the season. Can he help the team to a victory against the basketball team? Brian Stark also was on the Raiders and surprised the whole league. He scored many points on the season and was pretty fire from behind the three point line. Jake Labonte had a few words to say about this game himself. “The CYO All-Star team will win with ease.  As stated in my rap for the Support the Arts contest, “Like tryna shoot a jump shot when you’re Mark Majewski, he missed,” I’m expecting both him and the varsity team to miss a lot of shots.”
Trey Deitrick and Ryan Misko should bring some talent to the floor from St. George. Nick Hess also is a very good player who will bully his opponents.
On the other hand, Cathedral Prep’s point guard, Jaryn Simpson, has been talking a lot of trash. He says, “Don’t stand under the hoop or I will dunk on you.” For some reason he has had an nitch for talking trash to me, Trey. This is sure to be a showdown.
Bruce Fagen and David Nies are for sure going to throw down on the court. David Nies used to play basketball for Prep, so he has some motivation to take down Bruce in the paint. Mark Majewski is shooting threes and that’s it. But from what Jake had to say, I don’t know if that will be happening.
Joe Coppola, a Cathedral Prep junior, said that as an outsider “this game will be a blowout,” and that “the CYO teams have been phenomenal this year, whereas the Basketball team has played subpar.” In conclusion this should be a great game and everybody should come out and support it. Both teams have some star players, and both have some downsides. The trash talk is real. Who will back it up?