2016

2015

2014

Prep students get big catch, impress ‘Sharks’ in the tank

On March 23, multiple groups of Cathedral Prep students put their entrepreneurial ideas under the spotlight, displaying their products in front of four highly touted “Sharks.” Going along with the concept of the popular television program, Shark Tank, assorted groups of students from Mr. Bhatti’s Drones, Emerging Technologies, and Entrepreneurship classes gathered together to showcase their projects. Not only were the Sharks listening, but a large portion of the student body was able to sit in on a few of the presentations throughout the day, along with various faculty and staff members. To say the least, last week’s main event didn’t disappoint.
Bill Scholz (Radius Co-Work), Bill Slawin (Ben Franklin Technology Partners), Adam Williams (Erie Business Law), and Sabrina Fischer (City of Erie Human Resources) were all present, and they eagerly critiqued each product.
“The whole process went very smoothly,” said Mr. Bhatti. “I’m happy for all of the students, and I think they did an excellent job presenting.”
Mr. Bhatti wasn’t the only adult in the Hilbert Family Library that left impressed. “The students are really grasping the idea of solving a problem. With that comes more job opportunities and a better life,” said Fischer.
Mr. Bhatti also has spoken to the incredible sustaining power and deep influence this event holds to the students. It offers expertise, hands-on experience, invaluable critiques, suggestions, and encouragement to future entrepreneurs. Although only able to listen in for a short amount of time, shark Alex Brzozowski also spoke positively on the experience. “I think Shark Tank is a great opportunity for young entrepreneurs to get a taste of what creating and owning a business is like. “
It’s no secret that this year’s Shark Tank at Prep proved to be a success. Optimism not only fills the community air with events such as this, but it also installs a sense of intrigue and hope in the minds of the students.
“Shark tank was a great experience and can help open up doors in my life,” said senior presenter Matt Szparaga.
This was much more valuable than merely a successful school project; it’s just another way Cathedral Prep students are making a positive impact in the world.