2016

2015

2014

TGA 2018

TGA+2018

The Game Awards is an opportunity to showcase new games that will be arriving throughout the next year as well as give out awards and congratulations to the year’s best games and the best competitive players.

While The Game Awards themselves may be a little dry at times, it is undoubtedly one of the most exciting times for fans of gaming. There are many teasers, trailers, and reveals that occur during these events, and TGA 2018 did not disappoint.

While most were watching for these reveals, there were many awards given out for different criteria that certainly felt a bit dull. Fortnite won “Best Multiplayer Game” for the year to the groan of many.

Ninja himself actually won an award, too, for “Content Creator of the Year,” as he played a major role in bringing video games to the mainstream. But there were some amazing reveals that occurred during the downtime between awards.

Ed Boon walked on stage to present what most people thought would be Mortal Kombat 11, a fighting game that many people have been waiting for since the release of Mortal Kombat X. But instead, he was there to present an award for the “Best Fighting Game” when suddenly, the screen cracked. It began to play the first trailer for Mortal Kombat 11. He then played it off comically and left the stage.

Another amazing reveal occurred during The Game Awards later on through the presentation, when Reggie Fils-Aimé (Nintendo’s current North American President) came on stage. He talked about Smash Bros. Ultimate (the game that was releasing soon) and then played what seemed to be a trailer for a port of Persona 5 to the Nintendo Switch. Then, with the flip of an envelope in the trailer, it was confirmed: Joker (main protagonist of Persona 5) would be included as DLC for Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch. The entire internet went wild with this reveal. Reggie then said to expect characters like this: ones that you would never expect to see. He then left the stage. Everything else that happened around this moment didn’t matter. It was undoubtedly the biggest trailer of the entire night, and the presentation was over not too long after this shocking reveal.

TGA has always been a little dry, and it still was this year, but at least there were some amazing moments along the way. So far 2019 is looking like a great year for video games.