2016

2015

2014

COVID-19 Update

COVID-19+Update

Over the past few months, COVID-19 has stricken the nation and the world. It has put the national economy on hold, and put everyone’s lives on pause with the stay-at-home orders. Over one million people have been infected in the United States, and over 60,000 have died, which is more than those from the Vietnam War that lost their life. All of this data is as of April 29, 2020, but new updates in the fight against COVID-19 are showing some positive signs. 

Tests have recently been done on the drug “Remdesiver,” which was used during the testing of drugs to prevent Ebola. Patients who have contracted COVID-19 and taken Remdesiver show symptoms going away at a more rapid pace. Remdesiver does not prevent the virus or kill the virus on spot, but rather helps a patient recover faster. More studies need to be completed until the drug can be officially deemed safe. Dr. Anthony Fauci of the White House Coronavirus Task Force Team says that Remdesiver “will change the treatment plan of COVID-19 moving forward.”

International tests on Remdesiver are underway, but not every nation is seeing these positive outcomes that the United States is seeing. According to Dr. Jennifer Ashton, China had done tests on Remdesiver, and the drug showed no change in the outcome of patients that contracted the COVID-19 virus. Much more testing is on the horizon as doctors frantically search for a way to slow the virus down. 

As for the state of Pennsylvania, there are over 44,300 cases, and just over 2,000 deaths from COVID-19. In Erie County, there are 87 confirmed cases with only 2 deaths. Erie County is part of the state that will begin the reopening phases soon. Northeast PA and North Central PA are the areas that have been given the green light by Governor Tom Wolf to begin the reopening phase. 

Beginning on Friday, May 1, the red phase of reopening those certain parts of the state began. The red phase is the first of the three phases, and does not do much for the students of Prep. The red phase opens construction companies back up, as well as other businesses that are deemed “life sustaining.” The stay-at-home order remains in place, along with all social distancing guidelines. 

On Friday, May 8, the yellow phase is then initiated. Stay-at-home orders are lifted, and gatherings of up to 25 people are permitted. Retail stores can reopen, but for carry out or curbside pickup only. No date has been set for the green phase, which is when life begins to return to “normal” in the best way it can. 

Everyone should continue to remain safe and healthy during this time. Reopening is just around the corner, and everyone is encouraged to keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 updates that are provided on many different news outlets. Remember to keep social distancing guidelines for the time necessary, and keep others safe and healthy as well during this time.