2016

2015

2014

Who would win in a fight, Godzilla or King Kong?

Godzilla vs. Kong, the new film recently released in theaters and available to stream on HBO Max got our staff thinking. Who would win in a fight between these two cinematic giants? Read on for our staff’s projections.

Colin Bish

I would be lying to a lot of people

Godzilla by a hundred miles. I understand that a lot of people really like Kong, but Godzilla can blast entire cities to oblivion with just a single blast. Godzilla is just too big and strong, and has much more abilities in his arsenal. Kong is strong and fast, too, but he is completely outmatched when it comes to Godzilla’s atomic breath.

Landon Kalie

I believe Godzilla would defeat Kong. They’re roughly the same size and strength I’d say, which makes it really tough to decide. Ultimately, I think Godzilla’s power to breath fire gives him the advantage. Unless King Kong has some superpower that I don’t know of, I could definitely see Godzilla winning. I haven’t watched the movie, but I hope my prediction is correct. 

Brian Lee

I think that King Kong would win against Godzilla. I remember watching the King Kong movie when I was around 10 or 11 years old and seeing him fight the T-Rexes and totally destroying them. I don’t know much about Godzilla, but he looks like a big dinosaur, so I think that Kong would give him the same fight as he did the dinosaurs. Also, Kong seems like he’s a lot faster and more agile that Godzilla, who I’ve only seen walk really slow through cities and roar. I’m no expert on these giant monsters and their abilities, but I would bet on Kong if I had to.  

Brody McIntire

Godzilla vs. King Kong has been the question to everybody for multiple years. It’s kind of odd because they are made-up creatures, but nonetheless everybody knows who they are. Godzilla is a skyscraper-sized dinosaur that breathes fire and can swim extremely well. King Kong might not be able to blow fire out of his breath or swim very well, but he does have opposable thumbs and the ability to hold tools to help in the fight. Obviously, in water, Godzilla would win every time, but on land I think King Kong could definitely beat Godzilla if he was smart enough about it. Kong would need to use a weapon of some kind to block Godzilla’s fire breath but other than that, once Kong gets ahold of him that would be that. To sum it all up, Godzilla would win in the water, but Kong would win on land.  

Anthony Nunez

Of my little knowledge of Kong and Godzilla, for the fight, I think Godzilla wins. It’s because of two main points: his fire breath and his tail. While Kong has exceptional movement compared to Godzilla, with ‘Zilla’s fire breath, he can easily keep Kong at a distance, making it hard for Kong to approach. Kong is a very simple animal, who has to get in close in order to do any damage. Plus, he isn’t covered in rough scales like Godzilla to protect against punches. Godzilla’s tail is also covered in spikes and makes for a good surprise attack. Kong has no advantages and cannot win the fight. When it comes to hand-to-hand combat with no outside assistance, the winner is obvious. Godzilla.  

Philip Pedano 

I am definitely taking King Kong to win against Godzilla in a fight. Even with Godzilla being able to move a little faster than King Kong, I am still picking King Kong to win. King Kong just has that size and extra strength to always be able to take someone down with his force. No matter how many times King Kong gets knocked down, he will always keep getting back up to fight.  

Will Peterson 

Between Godzilla and King Kong, I believe Godzilla would win. While King Kong is commonly depicted as climbing the Empire State building, Godzilla has been depicted as being as tall as that building, Godzilla’s height has actually been changed many times in order to be taller than Tokyo’s tallest skyscrapers, and as the buildings continue getting taller, I imagine Godzilla will be depicted as taller as well. Godzilla also uses it’s signature atomic breath ability to destroy anything in its path, giving it a long-range attack. This ability has been shown to be able to destroy a black hole. There is currently no known force in the universe able to destroy a black hole. Godzilla also is impenetrable to any and all forms of human weaponry, and if Godzilla is ever hurt, it has demonstrated the ability to heal itself almost instantly. Godzilla is a living, breathing nuclear weapon that is impossible to be stopped. King Kong is a giant gorilla. To be fair, he is a very smart giant gorilla, but he is still just a large ape. Also, Godzilla is an official Japanese cultural ambassador while King Kong has never held a government position anywhere, as much as we love him. Then again, anytime the two have fought, King Kong ends up with a strange advantage like the time he was struck with lightning and became super-powered and somehow ended up winning. Objectively, Godzilla will always win, but subjectively because King Kong is an ape, which is almost humanlike. Godzilla is a metaphor for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in dinosaur form, and everyone roots for their own team. Kong is more sympathetic, so he will always end up winning. 

Jonathan Zambroski 

I think Godzilla would win because he has the ability to shoot flames out of his mouth and be radioactive. King Kong is just a large and viscous gorilla, and he has more mobility than Godzilla, but Godzilla is bigger, stronger, and more powerful than King Kong. If Godzilla and King Kong battle, I would put a large bet that Godzilla will win in less than five minutes.   

Who do you think would win in a fight between Godzilla and King Kong? Share your response in the comments.