2016

2015

2014

Prep baseball captures huge rivalry win vs. McDowell

Prep Captures Huge Rivalry Win vs McDowell 

Cathedral Prep and McDowell always have classic matchups no matter what sport it is. The rivalry runs throughout the Erie area, and the matchups never disappoint. This week’s baseball game was no different.

Cathedral Prep opened up the season 3-1 with their only loss coming to District 10 foe Haborcreek. McDowell, on the other hand, came into this game at 4-0, dismantling every opponent.

To open the game, McDowell had junior standout and Louisville recruit Daniel Snyder taking the hill, and for Cathedral Prep it was junior Tai Hopkins.

McDowell jumped out to a quick 3-1 lead in the third inning. In the next inning McDowell scored another run to go ahead 4-1 at the end of 4 innings.

With Prep down by 3, they needed a few big plays to get back into the game, and they delivered.

The bottom of the 6th inning was miraculous for the Ramblers. They fought off pitches, drew walks, and played hard-nosed baseball. With a few tough hits to open the 6th the Ramblers were poised to get the game back in reach. After a walk to load the bases, Maryland recruit, sophomore Cole Constable delivered the most clutch hit of the game, resulting in a 3-RBI hit to take the lead.

This 5-run rally in the bottom of the 6th helped secure a 6-4 victory for the Ramblers against crosstown rival McDowell.

“The game definitely didn’t disappoint,” said Prep senior Phil Pedano. “It was really entertaining the whole time and was very exciting when Prep went on that rally.”

The two teams will play next on Tuesday, May 4 at UPMC Park.