2016

2015

2014

Prep and Villa represented in PMEA District 2 Jazz Band

Hubert, Matt

PMEA, Pennsylvania Music Educators Association, has been working as a nonprofit since 1933 to assist students in their musical development through music education within schools and communities. The organization strives to promote the quality of music education and performance.

PMEA hosts multiple festivals within six regions and 12 districts. District 2 includes schools in Erie, Crawford, Warren, McKean, Potter, Elk, Cameron, and Mercer counties. 

On Nov. 18, at 4 p.m., auditions began for the District 2 Jazz Band at Youngsville High School. 

The selection pieces were taken from the “Jazz Conception” series by James Snidero. This includes “Joe’s Thing,” “A-Doll,” “Rose,” “Father’s Song,” “Blue Minor,” and “Proxy.”

Two students at Prep and Villa auditioned and were accepted into the PMEA District 2 Jazz Band.

Anthony Cuzzola has been playing the drums for 14 years and the bass for about two. He auditioned for a role in the percussion section and has successfully been admitted. He intends to pursue his musical talents in college as a drummer in Gannon University’s Concert Band.

“Music is important to me because I’ve made new friends and had amazing experiences along the way,” Cuzzola said when asked how music had impacted his life.

Emmal Dashti plays an assortment of instruments, including the flute, trumpet, trombone, cello, recorder, piano, guitar, and flugelhorn. For the District Jazz Band, Dashti plans on playing the trumpet, which she has been playing for five years now. She plans to continue practicing and performing music in college as a part of the marching band or orchestra.

“I have been playing instruments since the fourth grade,” Emmal said. It has accompanied me throughout most of my youth. It reminds me of a lot of good times. It is a hobby I can rely on making friends, attending events, and getting to experience things I would not have otherwise.”

PMEA will be a first-time experience for both Cuzzola and Dashti. They are both eager to advance their education and opportunities in the field of music.