2016

2015

2014

NHS Semi-Formal

NHS+Semi-Formal

Prep and Villa’s NHS Semi-Formal was this past weekend on March 26. Semi-Formal used to be a dance to benefit a different charity every year. Since COVID-19 struck, it was up for debate on whether or not it was happening this year. NHS did ultimately decide to put it on this year in 2022. They decided to give all the proceeds to the Sight Center of Northwest Pennsylvania. The Sight Center works to prevent blindness as well as provide vision rehabilitation and specialized support services. 

Paula Kirik and Isabel Ladaika we’re both on the NHS Semi-Formal Board and had a great time there as well. A lot of planning went into the event. 

“To prepare for semi formal as an NHS board, we had meetings with our advisors and Mr. Pituch to discuss our plans, the venue, the DJ, the nonprofit organization, the theme, ticket sales and prices, and last minute details about the dance,” Isabel said. 

“We would try to pick dates that worked for people’s schedules,” Paula said. “We discussed ideas about how to go about things, and we would agree on who would take on certain responsibilities. [For] example, I was in charge of the DJ, Will was in charge of the venue location, etc).”

“When we talked about the theme, we welcomed ideas, but we pretty much went with one of the first ones someone brought up (Roaring 20s),” Paula said. “We all thought it would be fun.”

“During our first meeting [we were] discussing if we were even going to have the dance, and as a board (both Prep and Villa), we came up with the theme ‘The Roaring 20s,’ Isabel stated. “Since we were in lockdown during most of 2020 and 2021, we thought it would be fitting to use this theme now.”

Both girls also said that it was an extensive planning process as well. A lot of being-the-scenes work went into the dance, including shopping!

“It required lots of reaching out to people and getting approval for things,” Paula said. “The board members were asked to purchase stuff (water and decorations) and we were reimbursed by the school. We also had to get to Hagerty Family Events Center early a few hours before to decorate and make sure everything was ready.”

“We also had to design the tickets, print them out, number them, and sell them throughout the week,” Isabel said. 

The dance was a lot of fun and seemed to be a success to both of them. They hope to keep this NHS tradition alive for years to come.