Outreach Club organizes Operation Christmas Child

Kendra Piotrowski, Multimedia Coordinator

Cathedral Prep’s outreach club holds an event called Operation Christmas Child. Each class donates a certain about of money or can bring in items based on categories. Freshmen are asked to make a $2 donation. Sophomores may donate personal care items or $2. Juniors may donate arts and craft items or $2. And seniors may donate shoebox sized toys or $2. Students can bring in more money if they are able to. Previously, Villa’s Interact Club had organized Operation Christmas Child with the mission of helping global and local communities.

“Operation Christmas Child helped us focus on global needs and was a fun way to get the whole school involved in the project,” campus minster and theology teacher Mrs. Grenci said. She helps with many projects like Operation Christmas Child.

Operation Christmas Child is a project with Samaritans Purse, which helps the less fortunate receive gifts. This year Outreach Club took over to keep the tradition going at Prep.

“It was fun to hear the excitement of the Outreach Club board members and to experience their desire to continue the tradition at Prep,” Mrs. Grenci said.

Outreach Club packs up these items for children in less fortunate situations. It allows youth in developing countries to experience a Christmas with gifts. Mr. Pituch, vice president of academic and student affairs, stated in an email that, since 1993 more than 198 million children in more than 170 countries and territories received an Operation Christmas Child shoebox.

Operation Christmas Child shows Prep’s good character and ability to give to others who are less fortunate. It is also great that the Outreach Club wanted to keep this tradition going at Prep.