Prep announces new vintage apparel line

Olivia Buckel, Senior Editor-in-Chief

Just over a week ago, Cathedral Prep announced a new vintage apparel line at the Spirit Store. This line includes a vintage ram logo which was primarily used in the 70s and 80s. It is featured on a new hat, T-shirt, and sweatshirt. There is also a new hat with a “Block P” on it, and the spirit store ran a sale for the line for the end of April where customers used the promo code “vintage.”

The Spirit Store is also planning on releasing a part two to this collection, focused on vintage Villa apparel.

Spirit Store Manager Dawn Campbell is pleased to run a store that promotes the school with a wide variety of merchandise.

“Having worked in retail before and in receiving customer feedback, I’ve had the pleasure to design every item using school logos and color themes,” Mrs. Campbell said.

Mrs. Campbell is extra proud of the vintage line because of how everyone has reacted to it.

“The new vintage line has really stirred up excitement for everyone,” Mrs. Campbell said. “The alumni remark that it helps them reminisce about high school memories. Plus, I’m equally impressed that current students love the vintage look.”

Mrs. Campbell is completely shocked with how popular the line has been.

“Sales on the vintage line have been strong and steady,” Mrs. Campbell said. “The feedback has been great especially on Facebook and other social media. Not only are people buying items for themselves, but also for birthday gifts, graduation, Father’s Day presents, etc.”

Assistant Vice President of Development and Strategic Initiatives Jimmy Smith is responsible for the creation of the vintage line. His exact role at Prep is to take care of the major fundraising programs such as the Educational Improvement Tax Credits (EITC) program, sponsorship opportunities for programs and events, major gifts, and the contributions for Mother Teresa Academy. He also hosts The Rambler Podcast, which he is very proud of.

When it came time for another clothing line for Cathedral Prep, Mr. Smith did a lot of research for inspiration.

“I started to think of other organizations who have a strong history such as ours and many have created ‘vintage lines’ of apparel or throwback concepts,” Mr. Smith said. “I began searching through yearbooks from the 60s, 70s, and 80s for Cathedral Prep and found the ram that we used. I worked with Cory Malpiedi, class of 2005, owner of duceTWO custom design, to help create this vintage ram deign, which turned out amazing. We also used the classic ‘P’ on a hat because through the years we have constantly received many requests to use that design for apparel.”

Mr. Smith is very proud of the design he created, and he is even more proud of how it represents the history of Cathedral Prep.

“The classic orange with this ram turned out perfect and exactly what I hoped for,” Mr. Smith said.

Mr. Smith provides similar reports to Mrs. Campbell that the vintage line has been extremely popular, more popular than he has ever expected, and he is really excited about it.

“The day it was released we had more traffic on our e-commerce site than we had all year,” Mr. Smith said. “I had alumni that I haven’t spoken to in years call me about where to get the shirt or sweatshirt from. Our vintage Villa line will be released in the next few weeks, and going forward, we will release a Prep vintage design and Villa vintage design each spring.”

Mrs. Campbell is more excited about the Villa line than ever before.

“What an incredible way to support Villa’s alumni with a vintage line,” Mrs. Campbell said. “We can’t wait for everyone to see it.”