2016

2015

2014

Student Profile: Joey Hickin, Eagle Scout

Hickin_scoutsNot many people are willing to make the 45-minute drive to Prep every morning from Girard. There are a select few students who are willing to make the trek and further their education at Prep. Senior Joey Hickin is one of these students willing to sacrifice valuable sleep time to be able to attend Cathedral Preparatory School. There is more to Joey than just being a Prep student and two-year member of the staff of The Rambler. He also achieved the status of Eagle Scout in his scouting career. He is very dedicated to his scouting and continues to practice what he learned today.
Becoming an Eagle Scout is one of Joey’s greatest accomplishments in life thus far. He began as a simple Cub Scout when he was 7 years old and has since went through the years to become a Boy Scout then eventually worked his way up the ranks to achieve the honor of Eagle Scout. The scouting process beyond Boy Scout requires the person to achieve certain things in order to be able to advance a level. The biggest project is required in order for someone to achieve Eagle Scout status. Joey’s project involved giving back to the program he learned to play football with. He chose to replace the poorly welded structure and untreated wood of the bleachers to hopefully make them last for generations to come.
Although he achieved the highest honors for a youth scout, he continues helping out within the scouting community. He is currently an assistant scout master for troop 53 out in Girard and helps out whenever he can. “I really enjoy helping lead a troop,” Joey said. One piece of advice he would give to an up-and-coming Eagle Scout is to get all the paperwork out of the way as soon as possible.
Making friends has been another huge benefit of being a scout for Joey. He and his troop did a myriad of activities together and grew closer through the process. Camping trips highlighted the best experiences he had with his troop. His fondest memory is from a trip he took to a camp near Emlington, New York. He got to go to his headmaster’s grandfather’s cabin and enjoy the beautiful scenery on a five mile hike. He got to hang out with his friends and even learn to play one of his favorite card games.
Being an Eagle Scout was not an easy thing for Joey to accomplish. The length of the process is long, taking anywhere from 6-8 years to accomplish. He says he would do it all again, however. “I wish I could’ve started [even earlier] to get further in my development as a scout,” he said.” Being able to give back to his community and do something he enjoys makes the whole process worth it.