2016

2015

2014

Prep seniors pay homage to Cam Newton, get recognized by ESPN

Mitch Clark (left) and Tyler Smith (right) show off their dabbing ability in the halls of Cathedral Prep

It is said by many that every person gets at least 15 minutes of fame in their lifetime. This can be from accomplishing something in sports to tweeting a crazy one liner that gets all kinds of attention on the Internet. For Prep seniors Mitch Clark and Tyler Smith, their 15 minutes came in the form of a “dab off.” The Dab, made famous by Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, is a move that has been sweeping social media in recent weeks. Last week at the Cleveland Cavaliers home game against the San Antonio Spurs, Clark and Smith got their chance to get some television time and utilized it to their full capabilities.
Seniors Mitch Clark, Tyler Smith, Tim Evans, and Mike Causgrove were lucky enough to be able to see one of the top NBA matchups, the number one team in the East versus the number two team in the West. On top of that, their seats were right at floor level, one row behind the the Cavs bench, which meant they were in view of the camera broadcasting the game. Few people get to experience being that close to the game, with the players on the bench being a mere 10 feet away.
The first half went by quickly, as the Cavs took over and kept their pace throughout the rest of the game. The less talked about story was the group of Prep seniors getting rowdy behind the Cavaliers bench. Honing the skills they learned from four years in the Rambler cheering sections, they brought an extra element to reinvigorate the crowd. From screaming their heads off to starting the wave, it was clear they were catching the attention of the viewers on television. The icing on the cake was the “dab off” that happened between Tyler Smith and Mitch Clark. The NBA saw this competition and ESPN took the opportunity to post it on their Instagram page that is viewed by hundreds of thousands of people, giving them some recognition for their intense cheering.
The Rambler caught up with the two recently to ask them a few questions about their brief time as stars. Tyler Smith had to say of the experience, “If you ain’t first, you’re last. We wanted to do something to get ourselves recognized and seized the oppurtunity.”
Mitch Clark had to reach deep into the list of Will Ferrel quotes to describe how he feels the moment has taken off with this spin-off of a Jackie Moon speech in Semi Pro, “In the annals of history people are going to be talking about three things: the discovery of fire, invention of the submarine, and the Cavs game dab off.”
The two obviously weren’t expecting this innocent dab off to become this big, but they were more than happy to take the praise that came with it. Hopefully, they will both be able to make it to a similarly big stage in the near future. See the video below via the NBA on ESPN Instagram account.

Dedicated to the dab.

A video posted by NBA on ESPN (@nbaonespn) on