2016

2015

2014

Super Bowl Commercial Superlatives

The annual Super Bowl has become more known in pop culture for its humorous commercials rather than its competitive games. In this year’s game the Denver Broncos took down the Carolina Panthers in a 24-10 victory, possibly capping off Peyton Manning’s career. During the game numerous commercials aired trying their best to attract the attention of the millions of viewers. Many were funny, some odd, and some over the top. The following is a list of the best, worst, funniest, most theatrical, and oddest commercials from Super Bowl 50.
The Best: Puppy Monkey Baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA
In perhaps the most bizarre way, Mountain Dew advertised their Kickstart drink, which features a triple whammy of caffeine, fruit juice, and an energy drink all in one as a puppy monkey baby, symbolizing the three features of the drink. With a catchy beat and odd creature Mountain Dew definitely threw America a curve ball. Despite what one would think of the commercial, I put it as the best since it created such an unexpected scenario that it has ingrained a puppy monkey baby singing “puppy monkey baby”  in just about every viewer’s head. “While watching it I felt uncomfortable, but thinking back on it I chuckle,” said junior Brian Buseck.
The Worst: Xifaxan

The Super Bowl is all about hanging out, snacking, watching football, and looking forward to humorous commercials. Xifaxan, an IBS medication, thought differently. They advertised an intestine system walking around doing normal people stuff while a background voice talks about bowel movements and everything else that follows IBS. I feel as I speak for all Super Bowl viewers when I say nobody wants to watch that while eating wings and pizza hoping for a funny commercial.
The Funniest: Doritos Ultrasound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNK1_Yop6oo
In the last couple years Doritos has become the best of the best in creating a buzz around their commercials. This year, like in previous years, they chose to advertise how much everyone wants Doritos. The commercial shows a women getting an ultrasound while her husband is next to her eating Doritos. While her husband has the Doritos out the baby starts reaching on the ultrasound screen towards the Doritos. As the husband jokes around making the baby move in her stomach the wife throws the Doritos across the room, in almost a dark humor the baby shoots out of her. This commercial continues the humorous aura of the famous Doritos commercials. While senior Pat Steele found the commercial funny, he commented, “Doritos are a bunch of savages. They need to chill.”
The Best Theatrics: Hyundai first date
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_483zeVF8
Hyundai’s “First Date” commercial displayed many new features on their new cars as Kevin Hart follows around his daughter scaring away her date. This commercial follows around the couple in several settings such as the fair and the movies. In every scene Kevin Hart, playing the dad, is there. At the end of the commercial when the couple seems alone Kevin Hart comes up in a helicopter and follows them all the way home. With the several different scenes and especially using a helicopter I give this commercial the best theatrics recognition.
Oddest Commercial: Super Bowl Babies

I am not sure what the NFL was thinking when they chose to advertise “Super Bowl Babies.” This commercial showed groups of kids and adults who were presumably conceived the night their hometown won the Super Bowl. I guess the NFL could have been almost boasting how much influence they have on American culture. But I pose the question, was it really worth advertising this only to create awkward situation for families viewing the event together?