2016

2015

2014

Massive flooding devastates southern France

In Carcassonne, France, which is most commonly known for being one of France’s tourist hot spots, there was a huge downfall of rain. In the span of 5 hours, it is estimated that about 170 millimeters of water fell down in the city. This is equivalent to about 5 months of rainfall all pooling down in one night. Because of this massive amount of rainfall in such a short amount of time, many rivers and streams drastically increased. The mayor of Carcassonne said that at 4 a.m. the Aude River’s height was sitting at 3 meters. The river was next measured at 10 a.m., and the river’s height was now sitting at around 5 meters.  
The effects of this mass flooding are very nerve-wracking. Many bridges and transportation paths have since been closed due to the amount of rain. In one incident, the amount of rain completely wiped out a bridge. To add on, the train services in the area have been shut down. Because of these transportation issues, many people are left with no routes to get places, and are forced to stay home. Next, there are currently 15 different communes, or areas, that are on heavy alert. All throughout these areas, all schools and the corresponding busing companies are closed. Ever since this immense amount of rain started, the death toll has constantly been increasing. As of right now, 13 people have died due to this mass flood. To further explain the effects of this flood, two people were found in the same car out in the middle of the ocean. The experts are hypothesizing that the car was pulled out to sea during the violent rain storms in southern France.