2016

2015

2014

Album Review: Kendrick Lamar’s good kid m.A.A.d city

In 2012, there was a lot of good albums that were being produced. Some of these included Channel Orange by Frank Ocean, Cruel Summer by Kanye West and Jay-Z, and Lonerism by Tame Impala. But the one that really stood out in the midst of all these amazing albums was good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar. 

Kendrick Lamar had a couple albums and EP’s before this like Section.80 and Overly Dedicated. This album in particular though was his blow-up album. It was the album that early started making him a lot more famous and made his music a lot more popular and known.

“I started listening to Kendrick later on when DAMN. was released,” senior Jacob Cooper said. “After I heard that I had to hear some more, so I started listening to some of his older albums which really got me hooked.

“The first album of Kendrick’s that I heard was To Pimp a Butterfly,” senior Patrick Sullivan said. “After that I listened to his older works and then even got into some unreleased and underground music of his, which was what had me and still has me listening to him.”

Each album Kendrick puts out has been a hit, and people even say “he doesn’t miss.” All of his songs have special meanings, and he even tells stories throughout his albums. In, good kid m.A.A.d city, Kendrick takes us through the story of his struggles as a kid growing up in Compton where he was always around gang violence, drugs, poverty, and the crack epidemic.

“When I listened to the album the first time I had no clue there was a whole story behind it, but then, after the second and third time, I saw that it had a plot and theme to it,” Patrick said. “It kind of was like a movie, and each song was a new scene.” 

Kendrick’s songs are so unique and hit the ear in such an amazing way, which is why he is so different and above other rappers in a way. Some of the notable songs off this album are “Poetic Justice,” “Money Trees,” “The Art of Peer Pressure,” “Backseat Freestyle,” and “m.A.A.d City.”

“My favorite song off of this album is by far ‘Poetic Justice,'” Jacob said. “It always puts me in a feel good type of mood, and it just sounds great.”

“I love every song on the album, but if I were to choose one, it would be “Backseat Freestyle,” Patrick said. “The beat and the sound hit the ear just right.” 

Altogether, this album, like all of Kendrick’s works, is an absolute hit. It’ll always and forever be remembered and cherished in the rap community. Kendrick is always out in the top three conversation for best rappers ever and will go down as a rap legend. This isn’t a personal statement either; it’s all just facts.

“Kendrick’s ability to story tell and give his audience the unique sound they love is incomparable,” Patrick said. “Kendrick will for sure always be a top-3 all-time rapper, and this album will never be forgotten. The story will live on.”