2016

2015

2014

Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer mode is released

Red Dead Redemption 2 has been one of the most anticipated games of the year, and has largely met the high expectations held. The game was only playable through a single player mode, however, the same open world Wild West experience was brought to a online multiplayer setting recently. Red Dead Online first became available on November 27 in a beta stage. Though, this release date was only available for those who purchased the ultimate edition of the game. Red Dead Online became available to all players by November 30.
Rockstar, the developers of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Grand Theft Auto V, described the new online mode to be “an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways.” The game is certainly filled with features and experiences, which make it an extraordinary online experience to share with friends. 
One notable feature is that each player has a certain level of honor. This honor determines whether your cowboy is the public enemy or righteous adventurer. A player’s reputation can trigger free-roam missions that can be stumbled upon, such as breaking a bandit out of prison, or helping safely escort a convoy. Depending on your honor, certain non playable characters will interact with you differently, acting grateful and welcoming to their town, or being cautious and even militant.
In an open world game, there is the ability to be free in how you go about your gaming experience. Red Dead Online offers just this, and a substantial amount of content to compliment it. There is a wide array of activities in this frontier. You can choose to hunt exotic wildlife, gamble, practice your gunslinging, and raid bandit camps, clearing them and taking whatever loot they hold. Horse racing is an activity to show off your horse and riding skill. You even need to get horse insurance for your steer.
Andrew Samuels, a Cathedral Prep senior, described the freedom and activities in Red Dead Online. “There is certainly an abundant amount of things to do,” he said. “In the same sense, a player is not necessary obligated to do any of it. They are able to shape their experience to their liking because of the freedom associated with this open world concept.”
Furthermore, you can form a posse with your friends, taking on the great amounts of activities the open world has to offer again with your friends. You are able to create a camp, which acts as a headquarters for your posse, too. With your posse, you and our friends are able to compete in challenges such as shootouts and capture the flag competitions with other posses. There are more intricate and difficult missions designed to be completed alongside friends. One mission is to attack an enemy gang’s gold mine, stealing as much gold as possible within a specified amount of time. Another mission is to attack an enemy fort and return a kidnapped girl to her father, fending off waves of bandits. 
Cathedral Prep senior Connor McEnery has had his fair share of experience in Red Dead Online. Connor says, “Being able to form a posse with my friends while playing the game makes the experience exponentially better,” he said. “You are able to have funnier moments, get more rewards in game, are able to access new content, and able to replay content the game offers in a new dynamic. Overall, the posse system offers a lot more to the Red Dead Online experience.” 
Red Dead Redemption 2’s single player is widely regarded as a phenomenal game. With the release of Red Dead Online, this same game is able to be taken into a new light. The multiplayer form allows for new experiences previously impossible in the game, and has many excited. Red Dead Online seems to certainly be an apex of multiplayer gaming