2016

2015

2014

Diversity Club hosts essay contest

This Monday, at Cathedral Prep high school, the Diversity Club essay contest was held. The students were allowed to choose from three prompts, with each prompt covering the topics on racism and diversity in schools and the community. This contest encouraged Prep and Villa students to take a deeper look at the effects of racism on communities like our own through research with a focus on ways to solve these constant problems to make our society a better place for all people.

There were three prompts from which the students could pick from. The first was: How do disasters, ranging from natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, and wildfires to the COVID-19 Pandemic, impact communities of color? How can these forces be mitigated? The second option was: What are some examples of institutional/structural racism that persist into the 21st century? What are their roots? How can these issues be addressed more thoroughly in public view? And the third option was: How can schools in general take action against institutional racism and prejudicial attitudes towards race? What are some of the obstacles of these changes?

The three things that all of these prompts include is the issue of racism. The issue of racism is still relevant in the United States today. Racism still takes place in school where students have to deal with it every day.

Prep senior Saul Parr-Plasha expressed some of his thoughts about racism.

“There is still racism in our country today,” Saul said, “I’ve dealt with some racism myself. it’s never been anything horrible, but it makes you feel empty inside, and nobody should ever have to feel that way. Coming to Cathedral Prep though it was different, I have all kinds of friends from different backgrounds that I all am proud to call my brothers. The bonds I make at Prep are special no matter what race anyone is.”

Our country is far from perfect when it comes to racism, but that doesn’t mean we can’t build a plan for change.

Senior Sidney Abogunde gave his thoughts on racism as well.

“Racism in America is still around and I’m pleased that we are making an effort to bring change,” he said.

The results of the essay contest will be announced after judges have had time to read the entries, with the winner receiving a $100 prize.