2016

2015

2014

Two lifelong friends take a chance on Cathedral Prep

With many faces coming in and out of Cathedral Prep, it is always exciting to see who comes throughout the building. Prep offers its state-of-the-art academics and athletics to many students, including those outside of the United States, intending to make Prep’s enriched educational experience accessible to anyone. Tim Dougherty, Vice President of Enrollment Management, gave insight into how long Prep has held this program by providing the experience of being a Rambler to students worldwide for decades. 

“Cathedral Prep has had foreign exchange students for decades, going back to the 1960s and 1970s,” Mr. Dougherty said. “There would always be one or two. However, a large number of international students started attending Prep every year back in 2009.” 

The Rambler looks at two friends experiencing Prep and a new country for the first time together.  

Juan Pablo Dogre Millet and Anuar Elias Martin Angli reside in Merida Yucatán, on the southeast coast of Mexico. Juan Pablo had an older brother [Alejandro, ’17] who was a part of Prep’s foreign exchange program, which led to his enrollment at Prep. 

“My brother came to prep six years ago and enjoyed it a lot,” Juan Pablo said. “How he talked about the school made me also want to go to Prep.”

For Anuar, hearing how Alejandro enjoyed Prep, he was also willing to try a new culture for the first time.

“I heard about Cathedral Prep because Juan Pablo’s brother came here, and he said it was good,” Anuar said, “so I took the chance of coming here, and it was a great decision.”

Adjusting to a new situation, let alone a whole new country can be challenging, yet Anuar and Juan Pablo are enjoying their time in America. 

“Some things that I first noticed when I came here was that the weather is colder than Mexico and the school environment is different,” Anuar said.

“Life here is very good,” Juan Pablo said. “I was lucky because I got a great host family, and the school community is great. I like how the school focuses a lot on sports and supports the different teams and athletes.” 

Each student stays with a current Prep student and their family to experience a new family.

Senior Evan Sipple talks about his excitement and how much he enjoys having Juan Pablo residing with him and his family.

“I love Juan Pablo and am so happy he is staying with me and my family,” Evan said. “It’s cool to show him different parts of Erie, like Presque Isle and Sarah’s, but to also hear about Merida and his culture.”

Anuar and Juan Pablo are also excited that they are both attending Prep together. 

“I am very excited to be at Prep with Juan Pablo since he is my childhood best friend,” Anuar said. “We are on the soccer team, and I am excited to play with him [Juan Pablo] for Prep.”