2016

2015

2014

MedPath attends UPMC Nursing Symposium

Seniors in the Cathedral Prep MedPath Program attended the 6th annual UPMC Nursing Symposium at the Bayfront Convention Center. On Friday, Sept. 29, students enjoyed the chance to socialize with nurses from around the area, engage in exploratory activities, and hear three outstanding speakers offer insight about the ever-changing world of health care and medicine.

The speakers featured were Dr. Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, PHD; Maribeth McLaughlin, MPM, BSN, RN; and Charles “Boo” Hagerty, Chief Development Officer at Hamot Health.

“My main takeaway from the key speakers were that respect goes a long way,” said senior Ellie Brugger. “Nurses, physicians and other medical staff need to work together to help patients in the most effective way possible and no one person knows everything.”

A key issue touched on in the symposium was the need for evidence-based practice to improve patient care in UPMC facilities. This process provides nurses with the information they need to offer the best quality care to patients, using up-to-date research methods and innovations.

“I greatly enjoyed listening to Dr. Melynk,” senior Hayley Dever said. “She introduced the evidence-based practice methodology with a personal antidote about her own daughter, whose appendix burst and was not cared for properly. It showed we have medical research that could be used to save lives, however it cannot be used immediately after discovery. Using evidence-based practice would ensure the newest research is available when it is relevant to the case at hand.”

Both Mrs. McLaughlin and Mr. Hagerty emphasized that it is imperative for nurses to be passionate and committed to their field of work. McLaughlin accomplished this by telling her personal story, stating that she dreamed of becoming a nurse since she was a child. Hagerty provided the audience with ten  he found it effective to communicate with patients, colleagues, friends, and even family.

“Mr. Hagerty as well as Mrs. McLaughlin spoke about how the way you treat others in this profession is what how you will be treated in return,” Hayley said. “It is important that you are always kind to others and have a good attitude.

MedPath students will continue to enrich their understanding of the medical field throughout the school year. Job shadowing, presentations, and interactive Skype calls with doctors are offered for students to take advantage of as part of the Cathedral Prep MedPath curriculum.