2016

2015

2014

Alumni Profile: Gery Nietupski (‘78)

Cathedral Prep has a reputation for turning students into exemplary members of society, and very few embody this as well as Gery Nietupski.

As part of the graduating class of 1978, which Mr. Nietupski says is “the greatest Prep class in history”, Gery started his Prep journey about fifty years ago. He decided to attend because it offered the best education available and the opportunities it provided.

“Prep taught us the fundamentals,” Mr. Nietupski said, “so it is at the cornerstone of my educational journey. It taught me that if i want anything and work hard enough I can make it happen.”

Mr. Nietupski had many great experiences throughout this time at Prep, including playing for the varsity basketball team and lettering. He remembers their remarkable season with a 27-3 record, almost winning the state championship but suffering a painstaking one-point defeat. He claims a missed call by the referee may be to blame.

Similarly to many Prep alumni, he cites his favorite part of Prep as the camaraderie. The brotherhood was as strong in 1978 as it is today. As Senior Class President, Mr. Nietupski feels responsible for making sure that camaraderie and brotherhood is continued in his class.

Mr. Nietupski worked hard in his endeavors at Cathedral Prep, athletically as well as academically. Upon graduation, he was presented with the Monsignor McDonald Award for best all-around student, voted by the faculty.

Giving due credit to his high school experience, Mr. Nietupski has had a successful career after his graduation. He attended John Carrol University as well as Duquesne and Harvard Law School. Much of his work life still has influences from Cathedral Prep, with alumni clients and acquaintances, as well as hiring students to work for his office. He works now for his own firm, Nietupski Angelone LLC, as an attorney with a competitiveness fostered by Prep.

“Prep taught me that I can compete with anyone,” he said.

Mr. Nietupski remembers his time at Prep fondly. With so many memories and beneficial impacts, he is unable to choose just one as his favorite.

“There was so many great experiences with so many people over such a long time,” he said.

Taking pride in his alma mater, Mr. Nietupski still participates in the Rambler community today. He makes sure to attend sporting events as well as other activities, like the plays from the theatre department. He also makes financial contributions.

“I really enjoyed Prep,” Mr. Nietupski said, “and it becomes more enjoyable as you get older. All the mundane experiences become more meaningful at the end.”