2016

2015

2014

Johnny Manziel drafted by the Cleveland Browns

Picasa

Infamous former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel had to wait a little longer than he or really the rest of America expected during last week’s NFL draft. Twenty-one picks came and went without “Johnny Football” getting his name called by the commissioner.

The critics were loving every minute of it while his supporters were growing ever so nervous that the man who was so highly coveted in college, might fall out of the first round. As the ever so menacing camera kept panning towards Manziel’s draft table, you almost had to feel for the youngest Heisman trophy winner ever.

The Cleveland Browns, the frontrunner in the Manziel sweepstakes, passed on him not once but ultimately twice. The Jaguars did not think enough of him to even make him the first quarterback of the draft. That honor went to Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles. He was not even the first player drafted from his college team (or the second for that matter)!

As picks were called one by one, Manziel was visibly upset in the green room. During those trying hours, Manziel reportedly sent a text message to Browns quarterback coach Dowell Loggains pleading for the Browns to take him. Loggains forwarded the text to Browns general manager Jimmy Haslem who immediately started making moves to make Manziel a Brown.

When the 22nd overall pick came out, Roger Goodell read Johnny Manziel, and the Cleveland Browns draft room exploded. The kid from Kerrville, Texas, had finally been drafted and you could almost see the weight being lifted off of Manziel’s shoulders. At the end of the day, Manziel fell, and the Browns maybe said to themselves the third time’s the charm.

Now Johnny Football turns into Johnny Cleveland. Only time will tell if he will excel and bring success to this beaten down franchise or ultimately suffer in the graveyard that is Cleveland quarterbacks.