2016

2015

2014

Recapping the Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 NFL Draft

Picasa

The 2014 NFL Draft had a lot of huge names in it. People were wondering where players like Johnny Manziel and Jadeveon Clowney were going to end up. This article breaks down a few prospects that the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted.

In the first round, the Steelers selected LB Ryan Shazier out of Ohio State. At first, some may have thought it was a little bit of a reach, but in perspective drafting player like Shazier was an outstanding move. Coming out of college Shazier runs a 4.3 40-yard dash and put up the 225 bench press 23 times. With the Steelers bringing back last year’s rookie Jarvis Jones and also signing a new linebacker coach and former Pittsburgh Steelers great Joey Porter to mentor Jones and Shazier, overall Shazier was a safe and smart pick.

In the second round, the Steelers drafted Stephon Tuitt who was a DE/DT from Notre Dame. This was an outstanding pick. Tuitt stands at 6’7″ and weighs almost 315 lbs and was projected to go in the first round. The Steelers were fortunate to grab him in the second round. With Kiesel leaving and Heyward at the other end, the Steelers are going to have a stellar defensive season.

In the third round the Steelers made a pick that turned a few heads in the Pittsburgh area. The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Dri Archer in the third round. This was a good pick but an odd one as well. Although he has the second fastest 40 time in combine history, the Steelers RB depth is pretty deep with Leveon Bell and LeGarrette Blount. Also, at receiver they have names like Antonio Brown, Marcus Wheaton, Lance Moore, and new 2014 pick Martavis Bryant. It’ll be interesting to see what they have in store for Dri Archer.

The fourth pick was WR Martavis Bryant out of Clemson. He is a big body, a “go up and get it” receiver, and I really like the pick. I believe the only reason he fell so low is because he played with 4th overall pick Sammy Watkins. It’ll be interesting to see what the Pittsburgh Steelers have up their sleeves for this season.