2016

2015

2014

Alumni Profile: Matthew Squeglia (’11)

MatthewSquegliaMr. Matthew Squeglia, Cathedral Prep class of 2011, had nothing but good things to say about his time at Prep. He made endless friendships and ultimately was as prepared as he could have been for college. Although Matt’s road has not been smooth, he made the most out of it. He has no regrets thus far through his life and is very excited to see what lies ahead.
Squeglia enjoyed his times at Prep immensely. He initially chose to go to Prep because his whole family attended this establishment, and he is extremely glad that the sacrifices were made from his family to be able to go to Prep. He wishes that he could go back to the freshman year speech from Fr. Scott Jabo and relive the next years to come. During his time at Prep he was a very well-liked man, both by the faculty and the student body. Some of the faculty members that he remembers fondly from the current staff consist of Mr. Peightal, Mr. Alexa, and Coach G. He stated, “Coach G was always my favorite and was always there to help me. He is just the man.” After he graduated from high school, Squeglia knew it was time to move on. The thing he misses most from Prep is Spirit, Mind and Body Day. He misses the competitions and pummeling the underclassmen.
Ultimately he said that Prep showed him how to be dedicated to becoming the best person he could be, and he tries to live up to those expectations every single day. Squeglia attended Pennsylvania State University for college and majored in finance. College was one of the best times for him. When asked about the greatest time in his life, he confidently answered, “My time spent at Penn State.” He loved it because he furthered his friendships from Cathedral Prep and also made new friends. He received a very good education from Penn State; however, he did not find it necessary to his current career. He ended up being offered a job from a family friend and now has been working there for a while. He is currently a phone operator for Professional Communications Messaging Service Inc. (PCMSI). He admitted that it was not his first option concerning his career, but it is a very efficient job with a lot of opportunities.
Squeglia is content with the where his life is right now. He raved about the time he has to follow his true passion, which is basketball. He wishes to become a dominant threat in his league. Squeglia’s wish for all teenage kids is that they can see how important college is and to not mess up. “Those four years decide your whole life,” he said. Finally, he lifted me with this message, “listen to your parents, they have learned through experience, which is the best teacher. They will only have what is best for you in mind.”