2016

2015

2014

Senioritis kicking in early?

The thick of the school year is finally upon us. The second quarter has finally come to an end and many students are at a time when school days seem to just drag on forever. The majority of seniors are now in the final process of committing to where they plan on going to college next year. With all of these commitments as well as the school finally in the second semester, it appears a senioritis epidemic has begun.
The beginning half of senior year can be a very important time for many students attempting to get into their dream school. Grades tend to be kept, in general, at a higher standard as students make their last major push to boost their GPA in hopes of acceptance or scholarship money. After many late nights cramming and long days spent reading hours of pages, many seniors’ work has finally paid off with their acceptance to college. Mrs. Quinn, mathematics teacher at Cathedral Prep,  had some choice words for senioritis stating, “Senioritis started the first day of school for most of my seniors, namely 8th period calculus. It is a constant struggle to keep them focused on today so that they will pass and ultimately graduate.”
After the second semester, it’s clear to teachers which students have already been accepted into college. They notice some of the more diligent students become increasingly more buried in their iPads. Their attention to the lesson lacks, and they clearly just want to be home. This is only the first sign of the dreaded “senioritis.” It affects seniors across the country every year as they approach the end of their days in high school.
“The fact that I’m accepted into college has taken a huge toll on my motivation to get work done, knowing these next few months are going to drag on,” commented senior Alexander Comi, who will be attending John Carroll University next year. The workload tends to stay the same for many seniors, but the motivation is just not there.
Senioritis seems to finally be catching its stride this year as the second semester has begun. It’s a great thing to have finally be accepted into college, but for teachers it’s a struggle to keep their students in touch. Hopefully, students are able to avoid temptations and do what they can to keep working in school.

View Comments (1)