2016

2015

2014

Opponent’s dunk goes viral

On the evening of Jan. 26, the Ramblers were taking on their District 10 rivals the Strong Vincent Colonels at the PVEC. The Colonels were seeking revenge after losing to the Ramblers three times last year. The third loss for the Colonels was losing in the district championship game by a buzzer beater shot by Charlie Fessler.
Tuesday night’s game started strong for the Colonels. Strong Vincent led 34-15 at halftime and Colonels junior David Morris had 19 points himself. With Strong Vincent well ahead in the third quarter, Morris unleashed a highlight reel dunk usually reserved for college or the NBA.
Morris got the ball just past half court. His crossover dribble gave him a step on his defender, Tommy Russo. He took one more dribble and launched himself from middle of the paint and threw the ball down over Prep guard Mark Majewski who was attempting to slide over and take a charge. After the dunk, all the stunned crowd could do was stand up and cheer. Not very many were expecting him to dunk the ball like he did.
The game seemed pretty much over at that point, but the Ramblers thought otherwise. The Ramblers scored 25 points in the fourth quarter to make it interesting. The comeback involved many key three pointers by Franco Agnello and Mark Majewski. However, the Ramblers came up short and the Colonels took the win 70-57.
The dunk was so impressive that it went viral after it was posted online, even making an appearance on ESPN as the number 5 play on SportsCenter‘s Top 10 plays. Majewski, the unfortunate man to get “dunked on” reflected on his thought process in the moment. “When I saw him cock the basketball back I thought to myself ‘oh crap’ this is going to be bad.” And indeed it was bad. Majewski also commented about how public this dunk became, saying, “I am very surprised by the publicity it has been getting.”
This dunk was a great one to watch, but it was even better in person. Seeing a dunk like this is sure to bring in more fans for the next meeting between Strong Vincent and Cathedral Prep. The next game between the two teams is Friday, Feb. 12, at Gannon’s Hammermill Center.

View Comments (2)