2016

2015

2014

Students prepare to take newly designed SAT

The SAT is a standardized test that is used in the United States for the college admissions process. The SAT is owned by the College Board and began in 1926 as the Scholastic Aptitude Test.
This year brought a new and much needed change to the often dreaded SAT test. Juniors and seniors alike take the SAT every year, sometimes as many as three or four times. With each time the SAT gets a little easier; however, there was one part of the SAT that often tripped up many students.
The required essay portion of the SAT has now become optional. This opens up an opportunity for many people who may lose points for a grammatical error to get perfect scores. The essay was often viewed as a very subjective area of a test that is data driven. Many people were upset for doing poorly in a section that didn’t have a right or wrong answer. It’s a welcomed change to a test that, in general, has its takers stressed out to begin with.
Prep junior Nick Frisina feels that the change is a great idea. “I like the change because if something isn’t mandatory, then I won’t have to spend time on it.”
Though many people look forward to this change some view it as unnecessary and even a bad idea. Senior Jason Constable said, “I feel the essay should be required. No matter what profession you go into there will always be some form of writing involved.”
Whether you feel it should be required or not, a change has been brought to the SAT. This Saturday, March 5th will be the first time that this new format is introduced. Many seniors and juniors welcome the change, but those that are more creative may think it wise to write the essay, even though it is now optional.