2016

2015

2014

Where to go?: The definitive guide to Prep’s restrooms

Everybody poops. There’s no shame in excreting waste. It proves that your body is effectively obtaining the nutrients from the foods you eat and expelling what is not needed. Why then, are we so ashamed to talk about it? This article will address a major part of the waste excreting process, the bathroom. Most people visit a bathroom, or restroom, or el baño (for our Spanish speakers) at least once a day. Some students prefer to “hold it” until they get home, but why do that when there are several bathrooms to use here at Cathedral Prep? This guide will help you make the best decision as to which bathroom to use.
Since Prep is an all boys school, and I attend this school, none of the women’s restrooms have been rated. Ladies, please feel free to write in your preferred restroom in the comments section below.
Bathrooms are listed in order of worst to best:
Location: Gym locker room
Number of toilets: 1
Number of urinals: 3
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): It has a water fountain in it, for prime hydration purposes.
Worst Quality(s): The toilet is not quality. Not quality at all. Also, it’s right next to the pool, causing the floor to be wet. Lastly, the whole locker room harbors unpleasant memories for any swimmer.
Location: First floor, outside Coach Mischler’s office
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 4
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): Its location is key. Coach Mischler is a cool guy, so being outside his room gives this bathroom some legitimate street cred. There’s a fire alarm and fire extinguisher right outside the door, making this the safest of all bathrooms. It’s also about 20 feet away from a vending machine, and on many students’ route to lunch, making it a nice hand washing station.
Worst Quality(s): As I entered, I was greeted with an unpleasant aroma. Numerous sources have confirmed for me that this scent is consistently there. Also, when the window is open, whoever is on the toilet can see the street and sidewalk very clearly. It’s unlikely someone would look directly into the slight opening, but if they were to, they could see you on the toilet.
Location: The entrance to the Cathedral by the cafeteria
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 0
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): Privacy. Most students forget that this bathroom is there, so it is very unlikely that anyone will ever be in it, or even walk right by.
Worst Quality(s): The main sink is very close to the ground, forcing one to either hunch over or get on their knees to wash their hands. This is demeaning. The other sink is rusty.
Location: Second floor, next to the Math/English coaches
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 3
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): Being near the library makes this the ideal place to take a break from one’s studies.
Worst Quality(s): Mainly, there are no soap dispensers. I, as an American, like washing my hands after I use the restroom. Why has this right been taken away from me? Also, the door to this bathroom often gets stuck, and is then left ajar, which is not ideal for privacy purposes.
Location: Back of the cafeteria
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 3
Number of sinks: 1
Best Quality(s): Like the other cafeteria bathroom, many forget that it exists. This makes it very private. There’s also a plunger in one of the stalls, just in case.
Worst Quality(s): One of the stalls has a big pipe running through it, making it cramped.
Location: Under the auditorium stage, by the wrestling room
Number of toilets: 1
Number of urinals: 1
Number of sinks: 1
Best Quality(s): The small number of urinals and toilets makes this bathroom feel like home, and less of a communal place. There is simply no place like home.
Worst Quality(s): This restroom is often locked, and therefore not readily available and practical for use.
Location: First floor of the science wing
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 2
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): The window has a nice view out over the faculty lot. The paper towel dispenser is no doubt a good thing for those who prefer paper towels over air dryers. Also noteworthy is the fact that if one is lucky enough to be in here at the right time, they can hear music coming from the music room. It serves to be quite entertaining.
Worst Quality(s): The big stall door most be jiggled/pushed to be locked. The worst thing about this restroom is that there is a small unidentifiable substance on the floor of the big stall near the vent that has been there for as long as anyone can remember. It’s just a little smudge, but it should be cleaned up.
Location: Third Floor, next to Mrs. Slaby’s room
Number of toilets: 2
Number of urinals: 3
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): This is just a good overall bathroom. It’s delightfully average. It embodies the Prep experience; due to it being in the Theology wing, you can be sure that just about every student has used it.
Worst Quality(s): When I went to expect, there was gum in not one, but two of the urinals. Does this sort of thing happen all the time? Regardless, it was aesthetically displeasing. Also, for some unbeknownst reason to me, this bathroom seems to be locked fairly frequently. Strange.
Location: Second floor, across from Mr. Alexa’s room
Number of toilets: 1
Number of urinals: 3
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): The window in the stall has a nice view out over the faculty parking lot. The teachers tend to keep their automobiles in good condition, so this is quite the view. Also, there is an “old-fashioned” paper towel dispenser in this bathroom. The majority of Prep’s restrooms are equipped with air dryers, which work quite well, but some people prefer to dry their hands with a paper towel.
Worst Quality(s): Having a scarce number of toilets makes this bathroom unsuitable for the busier times of the day.
Location: Back of the auditorium
Number of toilets: 1
Number of urinals: 2
Number of sinks: 2
Best Quality(s): Located in the lobby area of the auditorium, it feels like you’re getting a show. Mainly, this restroom is not frequently trafficked, so it tends to be very clean.
Worst Quality(s): It’s typically not available during the school day. I like a bathroom that I can depend on.
Hopefully you are pleased with the rankings of the restrooms. Remember, it is not only permitted, but encouraged to offer your opinion in the comments section below.