2016

2015

2014

Student Profile: Jaryn Simpson

Jaryn Simpson, senior standout basketball star for Cathedral Prep, has a hidden talent that not many people know about. Along with his outstanding basketball career for the Ramblers, he also has skills in the virtual world.
It all started in the third grade when Jaryn got NBA 2008 for his Xbox 360. From there Jaryn discovered his enjoyment and skill for video games. Jaryn tried playing other games and he did have success in other games. But his heart belongs to the NBA 2k series.
Jaryn’s first experience with the 2k series happened when he got NBA 2K12 for his Xbox 360. He has bought every 2K game since. He recently purchased NBA 2K17, which was released on Sept. 20, 2016. When it comes to 2K Jaryn is a critic, however, he is a very happy critic. He mentioned that playing against the computer is now more difficult and that the career story is more thought out.
When asked about his overall view of the game Jaryn said, “All in all I think this will be a great game to play throughout my senior year.”
One of Jaryn’s favorite part about playing 2K is the “My Career Mode.” In this mode you
can create your own player and play as your player through the course of an NBA career.
Jaryn’s player on “My Career Mode” is currently ranked as a 62 percent overall with 100 percent being the best in the game. It is clear that Jaryn definitely needs some work.
Many Prep students play 2K, and Jaryn is not afraid to admit that he is the best in the school, “I honestly do believe that I am the best at Prep,” he said. Jaryn is very proud of his player in the career mode of the game. “I’m more of a playmaker, but I get buckets when I need to,” he said.
Jaryn’s favorite part about the game is the realistic graphics, “I’m talking from shoes to
dances all the way to sweat coming down their faces.”
Jaryn enjoys playing video games, and from what he tells me he’s a boss when it comes to 2K. If you’re up for the challenge, see him on the virtual court.