2016

2015

2014

Prep-McDowell basketball round one goes to Ramblers

On January 26, the much anticipated first matchup of Cathedral Prep and McDowell basketball was battled on McDowell’s own hardwood. Despite the lofty expectations the Trojans had heading into this game, it was the Ramblers who prevailed. With the final score being 56-39, Prep didn’t merely “hang on” to this one, they dominated.
Sophomore Alphonso Pickens led the way in scoring for the Ramblers with 13, while seniors Aaron McBride and Adam Upperman added 12 points apiece. Star freshman Liam Galla dominated the boards, racking up 8 rebounds along with McBride. Prep held the nationally ranked McDowell freshman William Jeffress to 15 points to hold off the Trojans. Although Prep was drastically overlooked in this one, they found a way to dominate from start to finish.
“It’s a really rewarding feeling to have all the hard work and preparation pay off” said Upperman. Along with the schemes and halftime adjustments that come with every intense basketball game, Prep and McDowell always have a little more to offer to the crowd. Both cheering sections were wide awake for this one. Upon conclusion of the game, the Rambler’s Sixth Man stormed McDowell’s court and added insult to injury. McDowell graduate and current Steelers running back, James Connor, also was in attendance and even stayed after the game to take pictures with fans.
The Prep McDowell rivalry is truly the best Erie has to offer. It features passion, resilience, and a lot of funny cheers. Prep is set to host the Trojans later this month and it should be an even better one as McDowell has it circled on the calendar and is out for revenge.