2016

2015

2014

Three killed by gunman in France

On March 23, a gunman was killed in a hostage situation in France. Three were killed and 16 others were injured after hostages were taken by a single gunman into a supermarket. The perpetrator was identified as Redouane Lakdim, and the Islamic State has taken responsibility for the alleged terrorist attack. Prior to the tragedy reaching the store, Lakdim killed his first victim during a car jacking. After a four hour standoff, the gunman was shot and killed by local authorities.
Witnesses to the atrocity claim the man was repeatedly shouting “I am a Daesh soldier,” which is another term for being an active member of ISIS. All signs point to this being yet another terrorist attack, despite Lakdim only being convicted of minor legal offenses previously. France’s president has also fully declared this an Islamic attack and plans to spearhead the battle against ISIS and continue to protect French citizens. The man also reportedly was urging the release of Salah Abdeslam, the leader of the 2015 Paris attacks.
Four law enforcement members were also wounded after the car jacking. Lakdim shot at them and even attempted to run them over before running into the store and killing/wounding more innocent lives. Taken into custody was a woman in which was very close with Lakdim, and law enforcement is optimistic they will receive corporation.
France has unfortunately been a lingering target of ISIS. They have fallen victim to many Islamic attacks recently, the largest obviously being the Paris Attacks in 2015, along with many smaller scale ones. Authorities from all over the globe are in close contact and are attempting to solve the long term conflict that ISIS presents to global safety. Continue to check updates on the situation, as the motives behind this attack are anticipated to be officially released in the coming days.