2016

2015

2014

Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos getting divorce

After 25 years of marriage and having four children with wife MacKenzie Bezos, the president of Amazon and his wife are set to divorce. After supposedly “taking a break” from each other, Jeff was seen on several accounts across five states texting and meeting with former Fox presenter Lauren Sanchez, in an investigation by The National Enquirer. According to the magazine, they followed Mr. Bezos for a total of four months as he secretly met up with Sanchez. It is believed that the The National Enquirer conducted their investigation on the world’s richest man because of the relationship between the boss of parent company, American Media, Inc., David Pecker, and President Donald Trump.

Many think this is the most likely reasoning behind the investigation because of Trump’s poor relationship with the Amazon company as a whole, as well as Jeff Bezos himself. When asked why they conducted their investigation on Bezos, a spokesman for the magazine denied claims of doing so by the request of Trump, and said “[the investigation] was pursued because he’s the world’s richest man and a newsworthy subject,” according to CNN.

Though many are classifying Bezos’ relationship with Sanchez as an “affair,” both Jeff and MacKenzie have said that they have been, and were widely known to have been, separated for a long period of time and were open to seeing other people. Just as well, the other half of the Bezos’ secret relationship, Lauren Sanchez, is being criticized for also having an “affair” due to the fact that she is married, but is actually in the process of completing a divorce with Hollywood super-agent, Patrick Whitesell.

The divorce between the Bezos couple could be one of the most memorable in history, as it could make MacKenzie the wealthiest woman in the world, and cause Jeff to fall below Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates on the ranks of the world’s richest people. According to most sources, Jeff’s net worth reaches over $130 billion, and with the laws in their home state of Washington, it is a “community property state”, which means all property and debt acquired during a marriage “will be divided equitably by the court if the couple cannot negotiate an agreement”, according to a Washington-based family law firm mentioned by time.com. So, everything Jeff, and Amazon has, will be split evenly between the two, giving MacKenzie around $66 billion, according to USA Today.

In the end, according to Jeff Bezos on Twitter, the two will “…remain a family, and we remain cherished friends.” So as a whole, no matter what things the public and the media may bring to the now ex-couples’ eyes, Jeff and MacKenzie will keep their bond and togetherness intact in order to give their children the best life possible, and keep their strength as a family.