2016

2015

2014

Erie County Crime and Victim Center speaks to theology classes

On Tuesday, Feb. 19, a member from the Erie County Crime and Victim Center came to talk to the theology classes about safety on social media and how students can stay protected. Not only did they talk to the freshman through senior classes, they specifically talked to seniors who have recently turned 18 and how laws are handled with them now that they are considered an adult.

The first piece of advice they gave students to stay safe on social media is keeping their accounts safe by having a password and keeping their account private so not everyone can see their activity. Second, they informed students of consequences that occur when people make poor choices in sending inappropriate pictures at a young age or what happens when they just turn 18 and may possess inappropriate pictures of people under 18. Situations like these this can result in being charged with felonies and fines and in some cases face possible jail time.

The final subject spoken about, which is more common with teens than commonly thought, was “sexting.” For those unfamiliar with the term, sexting is talking about sexual actions over text with another person. Regardless of the intent of the conversation, it is still not something people should joke about. Depending on the ages of the two people sexting, it could cause for someone to be charged with a felony. The best way to be safe and avoid getting charged with any of these things would be to not get involved with it in the first place.