2016

2015

2014

Teacher Profile: Ms. Mackensen

Whether you have seen Ms. Mackensen in the hallways or not, you’ll know by first impression that she is a joy to have at Prep. Ms. Mackensen was born in Pittsburgh, Pa. She later moved to York, Pa. after college to teach for five years. After those 5 years, Ms. Mackensen moved to Erie to become a stay-at-home parent.

Ms. Mackensen is currently teaching AP Literature and Composition, Pre-AP Literature, Young Adult Fiction (fall semester), SAT Prep and English 4 courses. In the spring semester she will also teach a course on theories in leadership.

Ms. Mackensen really has a true passion for teaching.

“I love when a student really grasps a concept and gets it,” she said.

She says she loves helping students use skills that will help them even after high school. When I asked Ms. Mackensen what her favorite grade was to teach she stated “I would have to say seniors have always been my favorite level,” she said. “I love the works we read, and helping them to prepare for the next part of their journey is always fun and exciting.”

Ms. Mackensen said she landed her job by the middle of summer after she saw an ad for an English teacher opening here at Prep. She had an interview on a Monday and had a sample lesson to teach by Friday. She said it turned out alright because she ended up with the job!

When asked Ms. Mackensen about her transition to Prep so far, she said, “Starting anything new can be challenging, and school looks a lot different now with the hybrid learning. At the same time, since everyone is in the same boat with the tech, there has been a lot of training and patience and grace, which I really appreciate.”

When I asked Ms. Mackensen what she enjoys at Prep she said she loves how everyone here is great to work with and is very helpful. The mission of the school also matters a lot to her.

“I believe in the school’s mission, or I wouldn’t be here, and I believe the mission statement is enhanced by the core values we have,” she said. “Content and standards are most definitely important, but if you don’t have faith, respect for your self and others and integrity, you’re missing a major part of your education.”

Ms. Mackensen’s favorite things to do outside of teaching are hiking, skiing, reading, cooking and baking. She also taught Zumba for four years, so she enjoys taking classes when she can. As you can tell Ms. Mackensen feels grateful to be at Prep this year, and if you see her in the halls, say hello and give her a warm welcome.