2016

2015

2014

2021-22 College Football Playoff Preview

This past Sunday, Dec. 5, the College Football Playoff committee came out with their final rankings for this year’s college football season. The committee selects the four best teams from the country to face off and fight for the AFCA National Championship trophy. The playoff consists of two semifinals featuring #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3. The winners of those games will meet in the championship. 

Some things just don’t change, and that’s the case again for Alabama this year. Alabama started off a little bumpy this season with a close win against Florida and a loss against Texas A&M. But Alabama was able to find their stride picking up a big road win in the Iron Bowl vs Auburn and another SEC title win against Georgia. Alabama finds themselves as the number one seed once again. 

As for the number 2 team in the nation, Michigan makes their first visit to the playoff.  Under coach Jim Harbaugh the Michigan Wolverines were never able to get over that hump until this year. Michigan capped off its regular season with huge wins against Ohio State and then Iowa in the Big Ten Championship. 

The number 3 ranking in the country goes to the Georgia Bulldogs. Georgia started the season as the clear favorite and rode that through the first 12 games. But after a loss to Alabama in the SEC championship there’s more of a concern entering the playoff.

“I think Georgia is still the favorite [to win],” senior Griffin Irving said. “A lot may be writing them off right now, but I think it’s still their year.”

The last seed this year is surprisingly the only undefeated seed in this year’s playoff. The Cincinnati Bearcats finished the season 13-0 with wins against Wisconsin, Houston, and at Notre Dame. The Bearcats want to prove to the committee that they are really the best team in the nation with a win vs Alabama in the playoff.

“I, for some reason, think Cincinnati is going to win it this year,” Prep senior Jake Slater sai. ” I think every team has flaws. Alabama is beatable, and I think Cincinnati will move on and win the ‘chip.’”

This year’s College Football Playoff will be one to remember. Students on the Cathedral Prep campus are very excited about what’s to come for this year’s national championship.

If you want to predict the winner of the CFP championship and all of the bowl games this season, check out our 2021-22 College Bowl Mania contest.