2016

2015

2014

Mary’s Day tradition lives on at Prep

Mary’s Day is a tradition that was brought over from Villa to Cathedral Prep last year. It’s a special day to honor our mother Mary. Mary is special in many beautiful ways and has done so much for each and every one of us as our heavenly mother.

Mary’s Day was held on Wednesday, May 22. Students were invited to make cards for their friends and teachers as a special gift to share on Mary’s Day. Each grade level had a box for students to sort out their cards so that the cards could make it to the correct classroom.

On Mary’s Day students are encouraged to pick out their favorite dress or dress shirts and wear them to school. Everyone always looks fabulous.

Following attendance, the day begins with an assembly focused on the seniors in the auditorium. The assembly honors the seniors for their years of hard work at Prep. Afterwards, students gather back into their assigned activity group classroom to read their cards, eat cinnamon rolls, drink juice, and socialize.

After everyone has finished, the event concludes with a final gathering in the cathedral with a ceremony that features the crowning of Mary.

Every year seniors are selected to be on the May court, which is a great honor. The May court is composed of seniors that the teachers deem to have demonstrated characteristics of Mary. The 2024 May Court included two Rambler was Rue Burkett, Kwame Anim-Somuah and Lindsay Armanini as well as Drew Brown, Rue Burkett, Luke Costello, Clare DiGiacomo, Michael Duffy, Caitlin Dugan, Dan Oblich, and Lauren Raimy.

The May Queen is then selected from among the young women on May court. This year’s May Queen was senior Rue Burkett, and her escort was Kwame Anim-Somuah. Both Rue and Kwame gave speeches during the ceremony reflecting on how Mary has been present in their lives.

During the ceremony, seniors Samantha Elwell and Alexander Junkin sang “Hail Mary: Gentle Woman,” and The Rambler‘s Josie Dufala sang a beautiful rendition of “Ave Maria.”

The entire day was a great success thanks to a lot of hard work from many people behind the scenes led by campus minister Emily Grenci.

View Comments (1)