2016

2015

2014

Juul addresses criticism, makes changes in sales policy

With the Juul epidemic spreading among teens and young adults, the company has been receiving attention from the FDA (Food and Drug Association). The most popular flavors are mango and mint. Most of the fruity flavors that teens gravitate towards, such as mango, crème brûlée, and fruity medley have been limited to online sales on Juul’s exclusive website. These flavors are on there way out the door of gas stations and shops. The FDA gave the company 60 days to submit plans to address youth access and prove that the company is not advertising to an underage market.
In addition to changing their distribution, Juul is changing the way they use social media. The company is shutting down its Instagram and Facebook accounts but keeping Twitter for non-promotional content. Juul is also maintaining its YouTube account, which has been age-restricted to viewers who are 21 years of age or older.
The Juul brand has 72 percent of the e-cigarette sales, according to Wells Fargo. A new wave of lower-priced Juul knockoffs are showing at convenience stores, vape shops and online. Even though the FDA banned the sales of new e-cigarettes after August 2016. Tobacco firms have launched many more high nicotine devices with a Juul-like design.
Juul’s flash drive looking device, is recharged by a USB port. The device comes with cartridges of pods with nicotine-based liquids like mango, creme and mint that critics believe are used to attract minors. This is also a main reason why they made these flavors were made exclusive to online to try and filter out the young teens from purchasing them.