2016

2015

2014

Students are celebrated at Third Quarter Sessions

Cathedral Prep held their quarter sessions ceremony for the third quarter, honoring student achievements, ending with a speech from Bill Speros.

On Friday, April 19, the quarterly ceremony presented students with honors and celebrated the academic accomplishments of each class. Special notice was given to specific students who excelled in their endeavors. School pennants were given to members of each class with the highest Quality Point Average(QPA): freshman Jesus Ornelas, sophomore Matthew Oblich, junior Daniel “Hank” Partridge. and senior Brady Palmer were awarded a scholastic pin.

“It’s a great honor to receive the award,” Brady said. “I’m very happy the school chooses to give out awards to recognize the hard work and effort students put into their studies.”

Each quarter the teachers and administrators select two students from each grade, awarding them the Man and Woman of Prep award. These students are said to “exemplify the mission statement of the school.” The Men of Prep for the third quarter are freshman Cameron Hawkins, sophomore Luke Bruschi, junior Nicholas Kupniewski, and senior Christopher Fraser. The Women of Prep awards went to freshman Emma Ackerman, sophomore Olivia Spinelli, junior Giana Morgan, and senior Tina Phan.

The ceremony ended with the final counts off honors for each class, with the total number of honor cards being divided by the number of students in each grade. The highest score was the freshman class with 49% of students receiving honors, followed by the junior class’s 46%, the sophomore class’s 41%, and the senior class’s 40%.

As is tradition for Cathedral Prep, the quarter sessions ceremony was followed with a speech from an alumni. This quarter’s speaker was Attorney Bill Speros, Class of ’89. Speros has held esteemed positions in the Air Force and Erie County, working as a solicitor. His speech was full of life lessons and comedic quips, quoting popular characters from Netflix shows, including Harvey Specter from Suits and Sarah Cameron from Outer Banks. He also made sure he emphasized Prep’s role in his many successes.

“I can trace all of these opportunities directly or indirectly, back to this place,” Speros said.

School President Kevin Smith wrapped everything up with closing remarks highlighting the hard work and success of students.

“We had an outstanding third quarter,” Mr. Smith said.