2016

2015

2014

Rambler wrestling team breaks slump with win over Strong Vincent, eyes up McDowell

Last night the Cathedral Prep wrestling team was back in action, taking on a struggling Strong Vincent team. After sliding into a two-meet losing streak, the win last night was a must have for Prep. The Ramblers took forfeits in the 106, 115, 132, 138, 170, 182, 195, and 220 weight classes.
While there were a large number of forfeits, the few matches that were wrestled were extremely entertaining. One of the most interesting matches to watch was the heavyweight bout between freshman Matt Carr (Cathedral Prep) and Senior Brandon Altoff (Strong Vincent), who was formerly a student at Cathedral Prep during his freshman year. Altoff’s homecoming was cut short due to being overpowered in the second period by Carr, who finished off a half nelson to secure the pin.
Two other matches that were interesting matches were the 160-pound and 152-pound bouts with Cathedral Prep captains Teagan O’Sullivan and Connor Wurst both securing hard fought pins to get back to their winning ways.  After the match, when asked what the win meant to him, senior Dominic Kramer, who recently returned to action after a leave of absence due to illness, responded by saying, “It was nice to get back on the winning track. [It was a] good boost for the team for next week at McDowell.”

Senior wrestler Connor Wurst
Senior wrestler Connor Wurst

The upcoming match against McDowell has huge implications for the rest of the season for the Ramblers, who could end up facing off against them in Districts. For the seniors on the wrestling team, they have never beat McDowell in the three seasons they have faced off previously, which does not sit well. When asked about what it would mean to beat McDowell, senior captain Connor Wurst said, “It would be a great way to wrap up my high school career and hopefully start a new dynasty to Prep wrestling.” The match against McDowell is the next time the Ramblers are in action and it is set for next Wednesday, which is sure to be the best meet of the regular season.