2016

2015

2014

Prep wrestling team finishes year strong

The Cathedral Prep wrestling team finished 21-5 in the regular season before taking first place at District 10 AAA and winning first at regionals as a team. Five members of the wrestling team fought for gold as they headed to Hershey, Pa., for the state championship. Jacob Van Dee (lightweight), Paniro Johnson (145 lbs), Carter Starocci (182 lbs), Kareem Carson (195 lbs), Dorian Crosby (220 lbs),and Kawaun DeBoe (heavyweight) all advanced to states.

During the match of the final 16, Jacob had a disappointing loss, losing 13-3, but he won his second match 7-1. Kareem Carson won his first match 6-5 against T. Neglia but came up short in his second match, losing 3-2. 

Advancing to the semifinals were Paniro, Carter, Dorian, and Kawaun. During the semifinals,  Paniro Johnson lost 10-5 against Cameron Robinson who was ranked 2nd in the state. Paniro placed 5th in the state as a sophomore.  Dorian Crosby placed 4th in the state after losing 0-2 against Andrew Balukas. Carter Starocci, doing what he does best, defeated his opponent 10-3 showing, no mercy and capturing a spot in the finals.  Kawaun DeBoe, showing why he’s top dog in his weight class, beat his opponent 4-0 to advance to the finals. 

Both Carter and Kawaun took 1st place in the finals, bringing home the gold. They earned the title,  “the golden duos.” Carter Starocci wins back-to-back state championships, placing him number one in the country for his weight class. Kawaun DeBoe claims his first PIAA title, one year after finishing as the state runner-up.  He said, “It was my time. I had to step up, to come from seventh place to first took hard work and dedication.”