2016

2015

2014

Cooking Corner: Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

As we journey into the thick of the fall season, the temperatures are cooling, the leaves are changing, and the food is warm and inviting. During this time, I spend those chilly days in the kitchen, experimenting and creating seasonal treats that my family and I enjoy.

Many of my classmates, teachers, and coaches know that my specialty item to bake is cookies. This year, I wanted to put a healthy twist on a pumpkin oatmeal cookie. With less sugar and only 9-10 ingredients, these cookies are insanely easy to make, super customizable, and can be eaten for breakfast, as a snack, or even for dessert. I guarantee they will bring you warmth and happiness in the cold and dreary weather!

Here is the recipe (It should make around 3 dozen cookies):

1 Mashed Banana (The more ripe it is, the better the flavor and texture of the cookie!)

1 Egg, optional (If you like a a flatter, more spread out cookie, use an egg. However, if you are looking for a chewier, dairy free version, you can exclude the egg!)

1/3 cup Peanut Butter or Almond Butter

2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

1 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (I use Gluten Free Oats from Red Mills)

1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree

2 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 tsp Baking Powder

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Add as many as you like!)

First, make sure to pre-heat your oven to 350F.

To make the batter, first mash the whole banana in a medium-sized bowl with a fork. To the bowl, add the nut butter, optional egg, oats, pumpkin purée, maple syrup, and vanilla. Give this a good mix until everything is incorporated.

Then, add the Pumpkin Pie spice and the baking powder, and mix. Once the batter is complete, add your desired amount of chocolate chips.

Once these are mixed in, the batter is ready to be baked. Place the batter in 1/2 tbsp large balls on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.

Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes, or until they are browned and the chocolate chips are gooey. Let cool on a wired rack, then enjoy!