2016

2015

2014

Ramblers pledge to stay drug free

Red Ribbon Week is an annual anti-drug week that is celebrated from Oct. 23-31 with this year’s theme being, “Be Kind to Your Mind. Live Drug Free.” This is run by the nation’s oldest and largest drug prevention awareness program. Here at Cathedral Prep, we celebrate Red Ribbon Week in the hopes to educate and prevent student drug use.

Mr. Herbstritt, Assistant Vice President of Academics & Student Affairs, gave a rundown of what the week entails.

“For Red Ribbon Week,” Mr. Herbstritt said, “we include daily facts about drug use in our morning announcements, write facts about drug use on the school’s bulletin board, and hang up a poster that the entire student body is encouraged to sign to show their support for living drug-free.”

The morning announcers, junior Chris Reitz and freshman Lincoln Laquidara, explained that giving tips advising against drug use is very important to them.

“Our student body should be reminded that there are resources available for us,” Chris said, “especially if students are struggling with drug use.”

Lincoln had a similar sentiment to Chris; he also hopes to help out struggling students.

“My dad is a drug and alcohol counselor for those who are struggling,” Lincoln explained. “Getting to help out people like my dad does is very fulfilling to me.”

Along with hearing daily facts, students had the chance to sign Prep’s annual drug free poster, created by Junior Nhu Tran. Nhu said that the poster was a process to make, but also something she could use to de-stress.

“With the help of Charlie Cooper, Raul Rodriguez, and my art teachers, I was able to finish the poster in time,” Nhu said. “I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to create the poster for this year’s Red Ribbon Week.”

Making this poster meant a lot to Nhu, who hopes for more education and support within the topic of drug use.

“Although I don’t know anyone who struggles with addiction personally, I know it’s more common than people think,” Nhu said. “That’s why it was so important to me to create a poster filled with positive imagery, not only to raise awareness, but to also acknowledge that there is no shame in any of this. As a student at Cathedral Prep, I believe that we should all embody God’s grace and compassion in our actions.”