2016

2015

2014

Students enjoy Barbie-themed dress down

The idea of Barbie Day came from student council led by social studies teacher Mr.Baltzer.

Barbie was created in 1959 by Ruth Handler, inspired by her daughter Barbara Handler. Barbie sends a message to girls and women of all ages that when it comes to this world, they can be anything they want, and if they put their mind to their dreams, they will come true. Barbie is an inspiration to women all over the world, encouraging them to not be overlooked but to be empowered by their femininity.

Being a woman is a beautiful thing. Although there are many struggles that come with this title, Barbie shows that women can be anything their heart desires with hard work and determination.

Prep junior Allasandra Rondinelli answered a few questions about Barbie Day and how it feels being a woman. She said Barbie Day made her feel like a Barbie inside.

“Barbie is a movie I grew up watching, and every time I think of her and her movies, I feel nostalgic as if I can be anything I want to be in the lifetime,” Allasandra said.

Her favorite movie growing up was Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale because when she younger she dreamed of becoming a fashion designer.

Ally does have some concerns about Barbie’s appearance.

“It brings unrealistic standards upon women,” she said.

As part of Spirit Week, students at Cathedral Prep dressed as Ken and Barbie and walked the hallways with smiling faces showing off their different shades of pink.

Another junior at Prep, Sarah Lathan, said Barbie Day meant she could have fun with her girls. Sarah said the new Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie was not her favorite.

“Ken and Barbie were not together,” she said, “and it was a bit sexist.”

Sarah played with all different kinds of Barbie dolls in her early days.

“I might pass my old Barbies to my future kids, so they might be able to cherish them the way that I once did, and I might buy them a few new ones.”

Barbie and Ken Day at Cathedral Prep was definitely been a great way to get everyone involved during the school day.