Outreach Club clothing drive benefits the Erie community

Dominick Scarpino, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, March 29, the Cathedral Prep Outreach Club organized a clothing drive for the less fortunate in Erie. Students could either make a monetary donation or bring in clothing that would then be collected by Outreach Club members. The clothing was packaged and then delivered to City Mission, a local charity, for their use to benefit the community.

“Many of us at Cathedral Prep are blessed with warm winter clothing,” Outreach Club Board Member Chloe Brugger said. “But many of the people in the Erie community do not have this essential need met. It is important that we as a school community give what we can to those who need warm clothes as the winters here can be brutal.”

For the planning of the event, a lot of different ideas were molded together to bring this event to reality.

“To organize the event,” Outreach Club member Leah Markiewicz said. “The Outreach Club had a couple of meetings. During those meetings, we talked about the logistics of the event. We discussed what type of clothing we would collect, how to collect the clothing, and what to do with the clothing once we had it. The biggest roadblock we ran into was deciding on the charity that we were going to donate the clothing to. There are so many different charities to donate to in Erie, and we had to narrow them down somehow. In the end, we decided to go with City Mission because that was the charity we could all agree on.”

The result was better than expected, with many Outreach Club members incredibly excited with what they were able to accomplish.

“I was very happy when I saw all of the collected clothes,” Outreach Club member Sara Chase said, “I was simply blown away by the amount of clothes that we were able to collect. I am positive that once we get the clothes to City Mission, they will be able to make the days of a lot of people.”